Carbon Monoxide is a dangerous gas which is produced by the incomplete burning of fuels such as coal, gas, oil and wood. It is odourless and colourless which makes it difficult to detect.
It is mostly found in industrial areas, garages and mines but it can also occur in the home or at work, from defective gas fires or faulty boiler heating.
Effects of Carbon Monoxide
A person can develop Carbon Monoxide poisoning if they inhale the gas. Once it is in the body, it will travel through the bloodstream and prevent the blood from carrying oxygen around the body.
This will cause cells and tissues in the body to die, as they need oxygen to survive.
The gas will also damage the blood vessels, which can then cause swelling to the brain, nerve damage and even death.
Making a claim
If you or a family member have contracted Carbon Monoxide poisoning, you may be able to make a personal injury claim if it was caused by the negligence of another person or company.